Friday, March 6, 2009

Mims Addresses Being One Hit Wonder And Talks New Album


Shortly after the release of the second single from his debut album Music Is My Savior, New York rapper Mims seemed to disappear from the Hip Hop radar. But with a sophomore release around the corner, Mims is taking back his spot in Hip Hop.

Mims is ready to return and dispel the one hit wonder talk.
In a brief interview with BET.com Mims explains his brief hiatus, the sophomore jinx, the importance of his fans, and more.
“I’ve been around the world, but I’m still here,” Mims explained to BET.com. “A lot of people think I took time off or whatever you wanna consider it. [That] I fell off. I don’t understand the theory of that. But I guess that’s for them to explain and for me to just say ‘Look, I’m still here’.”
Mims rose quickly to fame with his first single “This Is Why I’m Hot”, the song reached the number one spot on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and was certified platinum by the RIAA. Mims’ second single “Like This” wasn’t nearly as successful as “This Is Why I’m Hot” and seemed to put the Washington Heights native in one-hit-wonder territory.
“Let’s be honest. How many people get to put out their first album and their debut album let alone a sophomore album,” Mims told BET.com. “So with that alone, you know, we talk about one hit wonder, but I was able to do something that not a lot of people have even been able to accomplish in the last couple of years.”
Guilt, Mims’ second album will be released on April 7 and will feature appearances by Latoya Luckett, J Holiday, Kamani Marley and a host of new artists. “Move” the albums first single is already in circulation and the video for the song was released in February.
“I’m in a lane where I get to define myself a little bit more,” Mims explained. “Not to mention I get to show people my versatility and show people what they missed out on on the first album.”
Guilt also boasts a special appearance by an “old school rap duo”. Mims explained that the appearance of the duo on his album is his “way of paying homage to Hip Hop.”
With the current state of the economy, Mims is aware of his responsibility to his fans and has no plans of flaunting any time soon.

“I learned that as an artist I have a certain responsibility,” Mims explained. “My responsibility as an artist is to connect with my fans each and every time I release music. I feel like there’s a real disconnect between certain artists that are going on nowadays…I got my money because of my fans. I was able to create a career for myself because fans actually purchased my music. So when I turn around and put ‘I’m riding around in a Lambo and I got 100-grand around my neck’ in a record am I not smacking my fans in the face with the same stuff that they’ve given me?”

No comments:

Post a Comment